Moving into your first off-campus house or apartment? SafeCats has some tips to help make your off-campus living experience a positive one.
- Make sure that the landlord has changed the locks. Even if the previous tenants returned their keys, there is no promise copies weren’t made.
- When you first move in, be sure to check that all appliances work. Document any damages and send them to your landlord. You don’t want money taken out of your security deposit when you move out!
- Test your smoke detectors and buy new batteries if needed.
- Look into purchasing rental insurance. When you live in a rented home, your personal belongings are not covered by your landlord’s insurance. Many policies are relatively inexpensive, and are much more affordable than having to replace all your possessions if something bad occurs.
- Planning on throwing some parties this year? Be sure to check out SafeCat’s tips on “Practical Partying for Hosts.”