APA Heritage Month is full of celebration and awareness for APA heritage and cultures. Throughout the month, the Asian Pacific American Student Affairs (APASA) office, and its clubs and organizations, will host performances, discussions, and philanthropic events for students, faculty, and staff to attend. APASA hopes to teach the UA and Tucson communities about the importance of Asian Pacific American cultures and help APA students remain proud of their cultural identities. The APAHM calendar of events is also designed to help deconstruct common stereotypes surrounding APA identities.
APASA serves all students and for many, it’s seen as a home away from home where everyone is welcomed. Thus, APAHM is a time for APA students to gather and learn more about their own heritage and culture so they never forget their familial roots.
All APA Heritage Month events are FREE to the community (unless otherwise noted), and everyone is welcome to come learn and participate in them.
- April 2 - Jawn Ha & Mike Fal Master Dance Class, 6 PM - UA Gittings Dance Studio - Dance with two of the best Mos Wanted Crew. Tickets start at $15.
- April 3 - APAHM Kick-Off, 5:30 PM in Modern Languages Rm 350 - Kick off APAHM with special performances by guitarist & singer songwriter Kina Grannis and YouTube's very own Jawn Ha & Mike Fallorina.
- April 7 - EPIC Amazing Race, 7:30-9:30 PM, Campus Health D304 - A competition, involving clues and challenges across the UA, to foster team-building and new friendships, pointing back to the ultimate race we run, known as life.
- April 17 - AACA Talent Show, 6-9 PM Modern Languages Rm 350 - Show off your talents at this exciting event sponsored by the Asian American Cultural Association. It’s a night to celebrate talents and identities.
- April 18 - Aileen Esteban Primero Basketball Tournament, 8AM-4PM, UA Rec South Gym - Raise money for the Aileen Rose Esteban Primero Scholarship Endowment Fund, in honor of the late Aileen Primero, an APhiG sister
- April 18 - Troy Osaki Slam Poetry Workshop on Masculinity; Writing Workshop, 11AM-12PM; Performances, 5-6 PM, UA Gallagher Theater - Special poetry event on regards of masculinity. Troy Osaki is a spoken word poet/teaching artist from Seattle, WA and winner of the 2012 Youth Speaks Seattle Grand Slam and the University of Washington Grand Slam.
- April 19 - Rice Bowl, 9:30 AM, Reid Park - Sign up a team for our annual flag football tournament & BBQ, one of APASA’s oldest traditions.
- April 22 - Alien Citizen: An Earth Odyssey Performance, 7 PM, Kiva Rm, Education Building - A funny and poignant one-woman show by Elizabeth Liang about growing up as a dual citizen of mixed heritage.
- April 23 - APAHM Movie Night: To Be Takei, 6 PM, Chavez Building, Rm 111 - Portrays actor George Takei and his life growing up as an Asian American as well as being a gay man. Movie and discussion.
- April 25 - Asian Pacific American College Day, 9AM-2:30PM, UA Student Union Grand Ballroom - Meet current Asian/Pacific Islander students, staff & faculty. Learn why being a UA Wildcat is an experience like no other. Register at admissions.arizona.edu/visit/specialprograms/campus
- April 25 - FASA Fiesta, 6-9 PM, Roskruge Elementary School - A cultural benefit concert geared towards raising Filipino cultural awareness while raising funds for 1st generation students' education.
- May 2 - HAPI Luau, 3-7PM, UA Mall - Enjoy a night filled with food, dancing, & entertainment. A traditional feast accompanied by music, food, and performance to celebrate and spread the rich cultures of Hawaii and the Pacific Islands.
- May 9 - Lotus Laureate Graduation Celebration, 5:30 PM, UA Student Union South Ballroom - Join us for this formal celebration to recognize the UA’s graduating APA scholars and APASA’s accomplishments. RSVP at apasa.arizona.edu.
For more information about APAHM events "Like" APASA on Facebook & follow us on Twitter.
Fatal error: require_once(): Failed opening required '/var/www/web/sites/deanofstudents.arizona.edu/modules/ctools/includes/css-cache.inc' (include_path='.:/usr/share/php:/usr/share/pear') in /var/www/web/includes/bootstrap.inc on line 3199