Lots of holidays and Winter Break are right around the corner. Hopefully everyone enjoys time off from school! Below are some tips for the breaks.
Before you leave:
- If you are a student living on campus make sure to complete any tasks outlined by your RA before leaving for vacation.
- If you are living off campus it may be a good idea to either have your mail held for you at the post office or have it forwarded to where you are going so its less obvious no one is at home. If you have a trusted neighbor staying in town for the holidays you can even ask them to keep an eye on your place.
- Remember to pack any medications you need and keep them close at hand during your trip.
- If you are heading somewhere colder make sure to check out the weather forecast to see if any snow or ice is headed your way.
- Make sure someone has your travel itinerary so they know when to get you or at least have a rough idea of where you are.
While Enjoying the Holidays:
- Deep frying turkey has become a big trend, but it can also be a major fire hazard if not done properly. When cooking and baking this season to follow directions and keep a fire extinguisher handy! Also, remember water won’t put out a grease fire, if no extinguisher is available, baking soda can be used to help.
- Have fun at parties, but have a safe way home or place to stay for the night. There is no good reason to drive drunk.
- Keep an eye on your bank account; we tend to spend more during the holidays and shop at more places increasing the chances of identity theft.
- Candles (prohibited in Residence Halls) create a beautiful ambiance, but be sure they are always blown out before leaving a room and they are never near anything flammable.
Happy Holidays, have a wonderful Winter Break, and if you are leaving Tucson safe travels! We look forward to seeing you in January.